Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Star gazing....
Sometimes the most memorable things in life are free... like star gazing in the field on a clear sky. I shall remember last night always... The simple beauty of life, the gifts of God.

Last night as I was on my way back from teaching English, I looked up the sky and saw the brilliant sky. Numerous stars lit up the sky. And then I remembered Tess said that there was supposed to be meteor shower starting from last weekend. Tonight was like the end of it. I was so excited. Went home to get my camera. You see, the night before there was some nice stars too and I could see them from my house. But by the time I took my camera out, the clouds have beat me to it. Still I took some photos but it didn't turn out well. So last night I was determined to get SOME pictures. How often do you run into meteor shower at the right place and at the right time??

Anyway, I couldn't stop looking at the sky. It was just so... mesmerizing. Looking at the sky is one of my favourite past time activities.

Back to the story.... I got to the compound around 9p.m. and saw a bunch of them watching the sky. But it was still too bright, so we turned off all the lights nearby and took out the pawyi (foldable beds) and at first we were just putting them just outside the dining hall. But then eventually we moved to the newly made volleyball court. That was a great idea. We managed to get much better view. Ma Ma, Mickey's daughter, and a handful other people saw perhaps 10-15 shooting stars. I was going crazy. By the time they saw like 8-10, I still hadn't seen any!! As usual, my reaction is a little slower than... normal people. Everyone would be going, "Oh, oh, did you see that???!!" and I'll always be looking at the wrong place at the exact moment. Unbelievable, eh? Lying in the same vicinity and watching the same sky, but not seeing the same thing at the same time. It's amazing how you can see the power of God in all these wonderful creation. I'm certainly proud that the God I trust is so cool. Putting all the stars in their places and make everything come together so perfectly and lovely. I'm comforted by the fact that if He can create a complicated system like this, then He sure can take care of my problems and needs!



The following Psalm came to my mind last night (actually, it was just part of the chapter, I couldn't remember where it came from. Thanks to the internet, I found it!)

Psalm 8

1 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
above the heavens.

2 From the lips of children and infants
you have ordained praise
because of your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.

3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,

4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.

6 You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:

7 all flocks and herds,
and the beasts of the field,

8 the birds of the air,
and the fish of the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.

9 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

I was thankful that I had the opportunity to participate in such an interesting and memorable event... and with a cool bunch of people too ... It was awesome!

On a side note, there was a "small" accident. As usual, I was a little clumsy and accidentally dropped the pawyi as I was trying to fold it in the dark. It cut some skin off Adam and blood splashed everywhere. Just kidding, it was no Kill Bill.. Still, that was awful.. I felt terrible!! Hope it won't be too big of a problem...
 
posted by scatterbrain at 8/14/2007 08:29:00 a.m. |


0 Comments: