Thursday, April 19, 2007
Continued...
As I was saying... I played some local games and had some fun during the Khmer New Year. On Sunday night, I played a game called "Hit the pot" when translated literally. Basically they buy these cheap clay pots which are shaped like vase. Inside they'll fill with goodies like candies, biscuits and what not, and sometimes they'll fill with powder or water. They'll then hang it up with strings supported by poles. The pots are hung via a stick, basically, and the stick is tied to strings. So, whoever wants to play the game will be blindfolded and turned around a few times and he/she will have to head towards the pots and try to hit it. Of course, people will try to help and give direction so he/she doesn't go off course and hit someone! I thought it'd be quite difficult to hit it but I did the jackpot! Hee hee.. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. It was too dark anyway.

After dinner on New Year's day, the powder attack began... Much like the Thai New Year, they put powder on your face or neck as a tradition. But here, people are more aggressive. I was attacked many times, mostly by kids, and I tried to get some of them too. Everyone was covered in baby powder by the end of the day.. Some kids even sprayed ice cold water on people!



The other fun thing I did was this home made slip and slide, like a water slide, except that it's horizontal. Basically you just keep spraying water to keep the surface wet and slippery and try to slide on it. I think I had too much fun and sprained my neck muscle a little and I had some trouble turning my neck.. But it's a lot better now ...



Oh, and I discovered there're three puppies at the house next door. So cute! I wonder if I can have a dog when I move to my new place...

Next week I'm going to try to start a TOEFL class with the lab staff, hoping that this would help them in passing their TOEFL score. There are scholarships available for them to study abroad but they first have to pass the TOEFL score. Do pray for wisdom in building up friendship with the people slowly and the opportunities to share with the staff. I hope I don't mislead them in their TOEFL preparation! Knowing that my English isn't all that great. The last time I did my TOEFL test was like, 14 years ago!!?? I can't even spell properly these days without spell check. Heck, I can't even write properly. Getting so used to typing on the computer that I have trouble getting make my already messy handwriting legible...
 
posted by scatterbrain at 4/19/2007 05:33:00 p.m. |


3 Comments:


  • At 12:38 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey Han!

    The new year game is like the Spanish 'break the pianata ' game! :)

    I was there during the NY too, so I probably went there exactly 2 years ago. Time definitely flies.

    It was the new year, and when the clock struck their 'auspicious hour', fireworks were set off and a huge gathering rushed to put their joss sticks on the town god - a scene not unlike temples in SG.

    We didn't get the powder attack thing (thankfully), because soon after the mad rush, a huge gust of wind swept through the town (I was in Takhmau). It kicked up quite a bit of dust and sand, so we had to abandon our dinner which we were having in an air-con-less chinese restaurant.

    It was quite an experience, walking back to the hospital where we were staying in in the mini-sandstorm.

    I bet you're not used to cleaning out your nostrils to icky brownish-black stuff still! Haha (okay too much info I know)!

    Ah, those memories. I miss Cambodia quite a bit. Should I plan a trip there again, I can visit you! Heh!

     
  • At 12:39 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous

    Oops, I mean pinata. :P

     
  • At 4:48 p.m., Blogger scatterbrain

    You know, I didn't see this comment until today, June 26, 2007. Gee...

    I definitely agree on the nose picking thingy....