Saturday, December 17, 2005
Second Day
Technically it's the 3rd day of my holiday but oh well....

I feel more and more like a stranger each time I return home. Really, where is home? I spend an average of 2-3 weeks here every year. Although I consider Canada my home, but it becomes harder and harder to explain to people and the sense of belonging becomes more and blurred and confusing. And my country considers me as a non-resident and therefore I'm treated like a visitor... The custom officer asked, "so where did you come from? I answered, "Singapore." He asked, "So what were you doing there?" I said, "I work there." He then asked, "so what're you doing here?" I was stunned, "I'm... coming home, to visit." He said, "so you're just visiting". Hmmm....
I guess I take comfort in knowing that the home on earth is just temporary so it doesn't matter if I feel like I don't really belong anywhere... Still, it's not easy to stop the feeling of loneliness. It feels as though I'm always travelling on my own. Had the inexplicable feeling of .... solitary as I said bye to j at the airport. "Here I go again..."

But I thank God for He knows all things, so he gave me the ability to endure long trips - the ability to sleep... I think I only watched 2 or 3 movies and the rest of the time sleeping. That's like 6 hrs of movies out of 17 hours of travelling, which is not bad. Met these 2 (or 3) families from Singapore. They were going on a skiing trip to Canada, and there were like more than 10 of them. I was like, gee, rich families. At first, one of boys was sitting next to me, and was really getting on my nerves. Kept bugging his dad to switch seat with his cousin and moving in and out of his seat (sometimes climbing OVER me) and making so much noise!! I was so relieved when his little cousin, Claire switched seat with him, and she was this cute little thing who didn't say much. Unfortunately the kids switched seats again, and her other cousin sat beside me after the transit in Seoul. She was probably one of the most studious passengers I've ever met. Kept reading the Henry IV almost the whole of her waking time, making notes and all that. I was like, "what school do you go to?. "St. Nicholas." Not that it means anything to me, because I don't know nuts about the school, but I guess it should be a good school...

Boring stuff, eh? Time seems to have slowed down here. But I tell you, it's a really a good place to sleep. I just love sleeping and can go on and on.. All I want to do, is have some sleep. hahahaha.....

It's so cold.... I've forgotten how cold it can get. It's like -1C when I got home today. This year seems a lot colder... or is it because I haven't been home for Christmas all these years... I need more socks..
 
posted by scatterbrain at 12/17/2005 05:01:00 p.m. |


2 Comments:


  • At 11:21 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous

    Hannah,

    We should get together! Give me a ring. Josh has my phone number (I don't want to give it out here, for obvious reasons.) Or you can e-mail me.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

     
  • At 11:02 a.m., Blogger Alex

    Hi Hannah!

    Nice to know you're having a good time in Canada... When I went to Hong Kong, the customs officer saw my Singapore passport with Hong Kong birthplace and strange name. She said to me, "What's your Chinese name?". I struggled to explain in Cantonese how I had been born in Hong Kong to a father whose dad had migrated to the UK.

    I flew Business Class back to Singapore from Thailand! Luckily there were no naughty kids to spoil things. There were two German kids tho, typically German in their good behaviour.

    I wish it was cold in Singapore!