Monday, January 17, 2005
Afterthoughts....
Am going to attemp to write about the play/musical "Sound of Colours", although I'm not very sure what I'm going to write. Still trying to remember the scenes from the musical. A few friends have asked me how was the musical, and whether it was what I have hoped for and more.. With my limited capacity brain, I need to do a bit more thinking/digestion before I can answer that honestly.

To be honest, I didn't (and still don't) understand most parts of the musical. I mean, I understood the dialogue and all that but I wasn't very sure what the director wanted to convey for some of the parts. The most of it was quite surreal and "deep" if you know what I mean. Some may feel that the most of the singing wasn't fantastic but I appreciate their effort and sincerity. I guess it's really not easy to sing and dance and remember all the dialogues and worry about changing costumes at the same time! Anyway, none of it impaired my ability to enjoy the musical. Afterall, my main reason of catching the musical is because of Cheer. Haha... The other plus was the music arrangement and the piano playing/sound, which I enjoyed.
First and foremost though, the one thing that I was looking forward to was Cheer's voice, and I wasn't disappointed. I was almost relieved when her voice first broke through the air - it was reassuring to hear the same crystal clear voice that I knew. Her voice cut through the theatre like a breeze of cool fresh air on a hot summer day, awakening those asleep. I particularly liked the last part where she sang solo without accompaniment and there was absolute silence except her voice, filling the entire space. Today I was thinking to myself, why is it that we're drawn to voice of certain people? How can I explain this, it's like most of us would probably have a favourite singer or two whereby their songs/voices just impress us so much that we decided he/she shall be my favourite singer and that would be the benchmark. It's a conscious decision, I guess. After a while, it becomes a habbit and after a little more, it becomes part of your life.

Anyway, I don't know how I got into that discussion. I guess there're a lot of underlying themes/messages in the musical. It's about many things - the fusion between reality and imagination, when does reality end and when does fantasy begin and vise versa? Are we ever sure of our memory? It's about how a blind girl deals with the harsh reality of the death of her father and the abandonment by her mother either physically or mentally, and becoming blind. Along the way, she takes the subway and journeys through life, whilst meeting different characters/people including an angel, a mysterious man in black, a lonely poet, a lost girl name Alice, a toy soldier who's been forgotten by its owner, etc. As she accepts the invitation to this amazing party where miracles are promised to happen, she searches for hope and yearns for the impossible. Somewhere down the line, the line dividing between fairy tale and reality becomes blurred. Where does fiction end and where does reality being? Sometimes the imagination becomes part of the memory and memory becomes fiction. For me, I see the subway taking on the form of various issues in life - the memory that life shapes, the imagination and fantasy that life evokes, the inevitable confusion that occurs in life, the longing and desire of life we cling on to, the natural inclination towards the search for escape from reality, and eventually we're faced with the decision of whether we want to take on the courage to live and to live life without regrets. So what happens in life? You ask questions, but you don't always get the answers you want. You make certain decisions in life but you have to bear the consequences, positive or negative, regardless of whether your decision is right or wrong.

在這個城市里﹐ 我不斷地迷路。
不斷地坐錯車﹐ 並一再坐錯車。

其實﹐ 我那裡都不想去。
然而﹐ 會有人在地下鐵的出口等我嗎﹖
他會為我撐傘﹐ 緊握著我的手﹐ 告訴我星星的方向﹐ 陪我走一段路。
 
posted by scatterbrain at 1/17/2005 09:56:00 p.m. |


4 Comments:


  • At 12:53 a.m., Blogger j

    Hey! That's the part i like best... dunno why...kinda speaks to me i guess. I should prob do some digesting myself. Mite need to borrow the book from u to do so though. Heh. My inept-ness in the chinese lang, coupled with my goldfish memory is just too much..

     
  • At 1:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous

    Agree ... that's a nice line

     
  • At 1:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous

    oops! forgot to sign off
    -aMuse

     
  • At 11:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous

    I see you've posted the same line on yours.... Heh.

    H